Sepsis From Shoes Sends Girl To Hospital

Trying on shoes can lead to sepsis. One family found out the hard way. A 4-year-old girl from the UK was in the hospital for five days after receiving an infection after trying on shoes barefoot.

Only one day after going back to school shopping, the mother of the young girl noticed that her daughter was ill. Officials believe that the bacteria entered her body through a cut on her foot.

Fortunately for the young girl and her family, she was able to recover from the ailment. Even so, people are questioning how something as simple as trying on shoes could cause a child to receive such an infection.

What is Sepsis?

Sepsis occurs as a response from your body that an infection is about. Symptoms include fever, racing heart, heavy breathing, and a change in blood pressure. Your body quickly goes into defense mode. You may notice the skin around the infection becomes warmer. Sepsis is different from infections such as the cold as it can become worse in a short period of time.

What causes sepsis?

Sepsis can be viral, bacterial or fungal. To receive the right diagnosis, doctors have to know how it was able to enter the body in the first place. Luckily for the girl in question, they were able to notice a cut on her foot which was the entry point.

Who is at risk?

Any and everyone. Adults, children, even the elderly are at risk. However, the symptoms can vary depending on age. People with diabetes, kids on medications such as steroids or cancer drugs and burn victims. Also, those who have sickle cell disease, congenital heart disease, or anyone who has a genetic condition which makes infections more common.

If you think that your child may have the infection or is showing sign and symptoms of sepsis, act fast! Take them to the nearest emergency location for an eval. The quicker you can get them to help the better. Waiting can cause the infection to spread to other areas of the body.