Tennessee Man Loses Life To Bacteria

Earlier on this week, a Tennessee man died after contacting vibrio vulnificus while swimming in the Florida Panhandle.

Cheryl Bennet Wiygil, the Tennessee Man’s daughter made a Facebook post about her father contracting the bacteria. She says that they were splashing around and he was very happy and talkative at the time.

However, 12 hours after swimming, around 4:00 a.m. the next day, her father woke up with a fever and chills. Also, he was cramping. They were able to make to a hospital in Memphis, however, it wasn’t until later on that night. According to Cheryl, there was no hesitation when it came to taking the man back to see what was going on. While helping him change into a hospital gown, they were able to notice a terribly swollen spot on his back. The spot was new to the Tennessee man.

Over the next several hours, his condition became worse. He was already fighting a bout with cancer, so his immune system was terribly low. By Sunday afternoon, he was dead. His daughter says that in less than 48 hours of having a great time swimming, a bacteria ended up taking his life.

Tennessee Man Battling Cancer Dies After Contracting Flesh-Eating Bacteria

After running labs on the man, they were able to indicate that the infection he was suffering from came from the bacteria vibrio vulnificus. The bacteria can cause the flesh-eating disease necrotizing fasciitis.

According to a report from the CDC, vibrio vulnificus is common in coastal waters. Especially during the months between May and October. The reason for the surge of the bacteria is because warm waters from hurricanes and tropical storms are feeding grounds for the bacteria. Earlier in June, a 77-year-old woman from Florida was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis while walking on the beach and cutting her leg. She did not survive. The CDC says that one out of three people who contract the flesh-eating bacteria die. So far, the Tennessee Man’s death was the second case to come out of Florida within a months time.