Dog Lick Leads To Mans Death

People love dogs. They don’t even have to be your own dog. However, people have to remember that not only can dogs be dangerous but deadly as well. One man from Germany had to find out the hard way. The man in question dies after letting is dog lick him. Last month, he sadly developed a very rare infection after the lick. The report comes from the European Journal of Case Reports in Internal Medicine.

In the report, it states that the 63-year-old man was quite healthy before coming down with a fever. He was also suffering from leg pain, trouble breathing, and purplish-red splots all over his face and legs.

He was intensive care at a local hospital with his organs failing. However, the man was a trooper and was fighting for his life. Though he was on strong antibiotics, his condition was on the decline. Unfortunately, 16 days after entering the ICU, he died.

Dog Lick Leads To Man’s Tragic Death

Doctors were able to find that his infection came from the bacteria Capnocytophaga canimorsus. His specific germ came from the mouth of his canine but can be in the mouth of cats as well. Usually, the bacteria doesn’t cause harm to animals or their owners, but it was not the case for this man.

Most infections to humans come from animal bites, not their licks. Though it had been weeks since his dog licked him and he became ill, his fate would have come quicker if it were due to a bite.

According to the CDC, people who are more susceptible to getting C. canimorsus are those who have lower white blood cell counts. Also, those who drink a lot of alcohol.

The man from Germany did not fit into either category, and the infection came from a simple dog lick. With that in mind, the bacteria from the lick was enough to send his body into septic shock, causing death.